Thursday, March 9, 2017

To be like Hannah...

Lately, I've been spending some of my devotional time following Rebekah Jones' Heaven is Calling Bible Journaling Video Series.  The videos are great...part art lesson, part devotional...love it.  If you have any interest in Bible Journaling I highly recommend it.



The 1st and 3rd lessons were both based on 1 Samuel.  In 1 Samuel Chapter 1, Hannah, calls out to God with her pain and desires for a son; in 1 Samuel Chapter 3, we see that she has been given a son and that he is serving under Eli in the temple.  
Several things stood out to me--as a mom--as I read through 1 Samuel 3:1-10.  First, Hannah was a woman who kept her promise.  After having her prayers answered by our good Father God, she gave her son back to the Lord.  He was raised in the temple in the service of God, even if he may not have known him yet...train a child in the way they should go Proverbs 22:6); we don't have to wait until our children understand!  Let them see and follow.  
Though Eli and Samuel lived during a time when visions from the Lord were few, that did not stop them from ministering.  Steadfastness of heart and hand is something I desire for my son...that he will not be blown about by every wind (Eph.4:14) of teaching or emotion. 
When the Lord called to Samuel, who mistook Him for Eli, Samuel still responded...immediately...three times.  Obedience without pause.  May I be so responsive to God, and may I train my son to be the same.  Finally, when Eli realized that it was the Lord who was speaking, he gave Samuel instructions as to how to respond.  And although Samuel had never communicated with God before, he trusted. 

May I be like Hannah...and Eli...as I raise my son to follow the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment